Well to some of you both of these might be old but to me they are new discoveries.
The first being the Why book
This is a awesome book I actually don't have my own copy yet but I want one. It helps answer all those nagging teenager's and younger kiddos gospel questions. It can also be used for FHE. I have a hard time putting it down or not reading there blog. It gives practical reasons for living the standards along with powerful answers from the leaders of the church. You can also check out the http://www.ldswhy.com
One thing that I had probably heard before but it just never stuck was about Fasting. I knew the obvious answer of it's a commandment, we can draw closer to God and it helps our prayers be answered. Also we offer relief to the poor through the payment of fast offerings. But the one that stood out to me was what Isaiah talks about in Isaiah 58. Isaiah states "loose the bands of wickedness: or in other words to help us overcome sin. This is the first reason we should fast. So you probably asking yourself how dose going with out food and drink help us overcome sin? Well at the heart of almost all sin is selfishness, coupled with a lack of self-control. Pres David O. McKay said "The lack of self-control is one of the most common contributing factors of unhappiness." So by saying things we shouldn't, or think something is not virtuous to be honest or doing unholy things we let our "natural man" rule over or "spiritual man".
They also had this fact of ending world hungry. Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley said "Think, my brethren, of what would happen if the principles of fast day and fast offerings were observed throughout the world. The hungry would be fed, the naked clothed, the homeless sheltered. Our burden of taxes would be lightened. The giver would not suffer, but would be blessed by his small abstinence. A new measure of concern and unselfishness would grow in the hearts of people everywhere. Can anyone doubt the divine wisdom that created this program which has blessed the people of this Church as well as many who are not members of the Church?"
Its actual pretty simple.
If the wealthiest 20% of people in the world fasted... The United Nations estimates that the cost to end world hunger completely, along with diseases related to hunger and poverty, is about $195 billion a year.
$195,000,000,000 Cost to end world hunger per year.
$16,250,000,000 Cost to end world hunger per month.
$13.54 Cost per month to end world hunger if 1,200,000,000 (20% of world population)people fasted and gave fast offerings each month.
Amazing!
The second new thing to me. Habitat for Humanity's "Restore". I have never heard of this before. Of course I know what Habitat for Humanity is but the "Restore", is new to me. This is a place where you can donate home building supplies and home goods to be resold to the public. The proceeds help fund the construction of new Habitat for Humanity homes. Kind of like a thrift store for building supplies and treasures. All though I haven't actually been to one yet we do have one here in my area so I will be going to see what kind of treasures I can find. You can find out if they have a Habitat for Humanity's "Restore" near you on there http://www.habitat.org"
Well I hope I wasn't the only one to learn about so new treasures.
Eagle Court of Honor
14 years ago
5 comments:
I haven't heard of that book. Sounds like a great one. Thanks for sharing some of the great info!
I saw that book in the Deseret Book catalog. It is definitely one to buy now that I know what it is.
I LOVE the habitat restores. They are different in each area according to donations. We bought tons of cool items to remodel/decorate our house in Texas, but it's not as cool here. Hope yours is awesome in TN!
This book is new to me too! What an amazing discovery. Now if I only lived closer to a Desert Book, I would go check it out tomorrow. ;)
Thanks for sharing. I will get one when I get back to Idaho.
Great insight about fasting! I'm going to have to look out for that book.
Did you know that little ol' Yakima has a "Restore." We have donated all of our light fixtures, cabinets, extra paint, light covers, toilet, sink, etc...
Post a Comment